top of page
  • Writer's pictureSam Kuhn


If your child (under the age of 18 years) has been injured due to someone else’s negligence, you as a parent or guardian could be able to make a Personal Injury claim on their behalf.

While no parent or guardian would ever contemplate that something bad could happen to their child - if your child has sustained an injury through no fault of their own, it’s important to be aware of what steps can be taken to protect their future recovery.

Types of compensable accidents children could fall victim to

Some of the most common accidents children incur injury from include:

• Car accidents; • Faulty toys or other products; • Injuries on public playgrounds;

• Medical negligence; and • Dog attacks.

The above are just some examples that might give rise to legal rights for compensation. The primary decisive factor will be whether the injury occurred due to the negligence of another party.

What can be claimed

The amount claimable will depend on the severity of the accident and injuries sustained.

If eligible, you could be entitled to receiving compensation for:

• Pain and suffering; • Medical expenses; and • The need for additional care.

Who represents the child?

Person’s under the age of 18 cannot bring a claim on their own, rather the claim must be brought by their appointed litigation guardian. In most cases, the litigation guardian is a parent or regular carer for the child.

The litigation guardian will have to comply with all necessary time limitations and requirements when bringing a claim. If you are acting as a litigation guardian for a child’s personal injury claim, receiving professional legal assistance is paramount in ensuring claim success.

While some may insist on handling matters on their own out of concerns about legal costs, the cost of losing a claim due to inadequate information supplied, not adhering to time frames or simply lacking the knowledge of the law - is a much greater loss than the cost of professional legal support.

Contact Personal Law Specialists in Toowoomba, Roma, Brisbane Region

If your child has suffered an injury due to circumstances they were not at fault of, and wish to seek compensation, we can help you.

To find out more, please follow the link below.


bottom of page